The Vizcaya Bridge (Puente Bizkaia) was inaugurated on 28 July 1893, becoming the first transporter bridge in the world built of metal. Its main purpose is to link the two banks of the Nervión Estuary, occupied respectively by the towns of Portugalete and Getxo (neighbourhood of Las Arenas), where the machinery is installed. Reminiscent of the elegant structures of Eiffel Tower, the bridge was a joint design between the architect Alberto de Palacio and the engineer-builder Ferdinand Arnodin, a disciple of none other than Eiffel himself.
Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO on 13th July 2006, the Vizcaya Bridge is the first hanging transporter bridge in the world and one of the outstanding architectural iron constructions of the Industrial Revolution. It combines iron technology evolved for railways with the innovative technology of lightweight, twisted steel cables, a technique that impacted bridge construction around the world.